After 6 Hour Trip, Dancer Feels Blessed Seeing Shen Yun
SYDNEY—Dancer Kristie Hood said she feels blessed by her husband who bought her tickets to see Shen Yun Performing Arts for her birthday.
The couple traveled six hours from Australia’s Coffs Harbour to see New York-based Shen Yun perform at Sydney’s Capitol Theatre.
“It’s amazing. It’s a really beautiful show,” husband Peter said. “Some pretty amazing movements, unique as well.
“My wife’s been trained in classical ballet, contemporary, hip-hop, jazz, all those sorts of dances. But I haven’t seen anything like this before.”
For Peter, the athleticism of the performers was something he found really inspiring, “because, you know, I’m quite athletic myself, but I couldn’t imagine doing anything like what they’re doing. It almost seems like it’s impossible for a person to be able to flip around like that and do all those movements,” he said.
Kristie said that for her, in addition to the beautiful dance that gives audiences something to say “wow” about, she appreciated “the fact that there’s a purpose to the movement.”
She said that through the dance, she could feel the desire of Shen Yun as a company to reclaim the essence of traditional Chinese culture.
Shen Yun indeed has a mission to revive 5,000 years of traditional Chinese culture, which has almost been forgotten in modern-day China. Through music, dance, and heart, Shen Yun performances hope to remind people to seek the timeless harmony that exists between Heaven, Earth, and humankind, and to celebrate the traditions that uphold this harmony.
“There needs to be a purpose, not just gymnastic tricks. There’s a beautiful connecting with the artistry in the dance as well. It’s lovely,” she said.
“As a dancer and dance teacher, it’s something where I’m consistently wanting to connect with the arts [and] see professional performances because it inspires me as a dance teacher but also as an artist myself,” she added.
“It’s nice to keep a creative journey going and seeing performances like this, that’s how that happens.”
With reporting by Rona Rui and Melanie Sun.
- Shen Yun Shows We Need to Be Nicer to Each Other, Says Pediatrician 2020/03/13
- Businessman Buys 120 Shen Yun Tickets for NSW Firefighters 2020/03/12
- Order of Australia Recipient, Choreographer Thanks Shen Yun for Its Honesty and Brilliance 2020/03/11
- State MP Says Shen Yun Dancers Are a ‘Magical Display of Art’ 2020/03/11
- Artist Says She ‘Can’t Wait Next Year to Come Again’ After Seeing Shen Yun for the First Time 2020/03/11
- After 6 Hour Trip, Dancer Feels Blessed Seeing Shen Yun 2020/03/08
- Filmmaking Duo Impressed by the Message of Shen Yun 2020/03/08
- Sydney Law Lecturer, Author Says Shen Yun Is a ‘Roller-Coaster of Emotions’ 2020/03/07
- Musical Theater Star and Actress on Shen Yun: ‘The Elegance of the Dancers Is Just Incredible’ 2020/03/06
- Law Professor Says Shen Yun Is ‘The Heaven and the Earth Coming Together’ 2020/03/06