Choreographer Recommends ‘Absolutely Beautiful’ Shen Yun
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla.—Jennifer Morano is a ballet dancer and Latin dancer who attended Shen Yun Performing Arts in St. Petersburg, Florida, and gave the dancing’s artistry, technique, and choreography high praise. A choreographer herself, Morano shared her thoughts about how perfectly Shen Yun’s dancers executed their tumbling steps.
“I enjoyed [Shen Yun] a lot. I appreciated the artistry. The choreography was wonderful. The colors, the scenery was all really entertaining. The acrobatics are amazing, too,” said Morano, who took in the performance on Feb. 14, 2020, at the Mahaffey Theater.
Classical Chinese dance is an ancient art form that New York-based Shen Yun has breathed new life into as part of its mission to revive traditional Chinese culture itself.
According to Shen Yun’s website, “All these jumping, turning, and flipping techniques, along with the exquisiteness of the bearing and form, give classical Chinese dance special expressivity.”
“[Shen Yun’s mission] is beautiful. It’s absolutely beautiful. I would definitely recommend it and I would see it again,” she said.
China’s authentic culture is considered divinely-inspired and contains rich inner meaning as well as thousands of years worth of profound legends, spiritual wisdom, and beauty. But Shen Yun cannot perform in China today, due to a campaign by the Chinese Communist Party to eradicate traditional Chinese culture.
Morano said she appreciates the divinely-inspired aspect of Shen Yun’s performance. “I appreciate it. I appreciate learning about the Chinese culture and their dance and where it’s inspired from. So it gives me a better understanding of how to enjoy a performance,” she said.
The dancer and choreographer had more to say about the artistic and technical aspects of the dancers’ performance.
“I appreciate the symmetry, and everyone keeping their lines,” Morano said. “I know that’s important because I’m also a choreographer. The acrobatics were all perfectly landed, you know. It was very technically entertaining. As well as the digital background; we really liked that a lot. The colors of the costumes were really highlighted by the light. So, very enjoyable.”
“The stories were all really entertaining. Our favorites were the water sleeves because of how they retracted their sleeves and then threw them out like flowers. And that they did respect to the ethnic dances. We also appreciated that as well,” she added.
“To the artistic director, I would keep going, keep moving forward.”
“The dancers—bravo,” Morano said, applauding with her hands as she said it.
“You know, it’s a beautiful thing to see people enjoy their art and celebrate their culture. I do it, so I love it. I appreciate it a lot,” she said.
With reporting by NTD Television and Brett Featherstone.
- Shen Yun Shows We Need to Be Nicer to Each Other, Says Pediatrician 2020/03/13
- Businessman Buys 120 Shen Yun Tickets for NSW Firefighters 2020/03/12
- Order of Australia Recipient, Choreographer Thanks Shen Yun for Its Honesty and Brilliance 2020/03/11
- State MP Says Shen Yun Dancers Are a ‘Magical Display of Art’ 2020/03/11
- Artist Says She ‘Can’t Wait Next Year to Come Again’ After Seeing Shen Yun for the First Time 2020/03/11
- After 6 Hour Trip, Dancer Feels Blessed Seeing Shen Yun 2020/03/08
- Filmmaking Duo Impressed by the Message of Shen Yun 2020/03/08
- Sydney Law Lecturer, Author Says Shen Yun Is a ‘Roller-Coaster of Emotions’ 2020/03/07
- Musical Theater Star and Actress on Shen Yun: ‘The Elegance of the Dancers Is Just Incredible’ 2020/03/06
- Law Professor Says Shen Yun Is ‘The Heaven and the Earth Coming Together’ 2020/03/06