Compliments Pour Forth for Shen Yun
SPRINGFIELD, Ill.—“It was an outstanding show. I can only use superlatives, highest compliments. It was wonderful, a very good evening,” said Professor Jonathan Hess. He and his wife, Loretta, enjoyed Shen Yun Performing Arts, and had scores of good things to say about the classical music and dance performance they saw on April 8.
“It was just more than I could have imagined,” Mrs. Hess said. “It was beautiful. Really, really enjoyed it.”
“One of the best shows I’ve seen,” Professor Hess said.
The couple had just seen New York-based Shen Yun at the Sangamon Auditorium on University of Illinois campus, where Jonathan Hess, Ph.D. is an emeritus professor. He had taught psychology before retirement.
He also plays violin, piano, guitar and sings. Mrs. Hess teaches arts and crafts in an after school center.
Through the medium of classical Chinese dance, Shen Yun tells stories of ancient Chinese legends, myths, and literary classics.
Mrs. Hess had no idea that Chinese culture was so rich in stories. “It was just like looking in on a new world,” she said.
She likes stories, she explained, because she is a storyteller. “I teach children and I like to incorporate different cultures,” she said. Shen Yun “will help me with my job.”
But the performance had a deeper impact. “It was transforming,” she said. “It took me out of myself for the evening. It was a really beautiful place to be.”
She said she had brought her husband along with her and so was really pleased that he enjoyed it. In fact, she said, “He said this would help us live longer.”
Professor Hess may have a point. Many viewers state that Shen Yun’s performance is so relaxing that they feel refreshed afterwards, almost as though they have meditated.
“It was really impressive,” Professor Hess said.
“It was very impressive,” Mrs. Hess echoed him.
“It was wonderful, superlative,” Professor Hess said.
Reporting by Hu Chen and Sharon Kilarski
New York-based Shen Yun Performing Arts has four touring companies that perform simultaneously around the world. For more information, visit Shen Yun Performing Arts.
- ‘Absolutely Magnificent’: New Brunswick Audience Members Delighted by Shen Yun 2021/11/22
- Shen Yun Is Outstanding, Physician Says 2021/11/22
- ‘Very Impressed’: Retired Bank VP Praises Shen Yun 2021/11/21
- Businessman Inspired to Delve in China’s History After Watching Shen Yun 2021/10/10
- Shen Yun ‘Will Be in History Books Someday,’ Says Best-Selling Author 2021/10/10
- State and City Officials Welcome Shen Yun to Louisville, Kentucky 2021/10/08
- Conductor Deeply Moved by Shen Yun 2021/10/06
- Refreshing to See Shen Yun Artists ‘Dance Without Fear, Share Message of Truth,’ Says Former Guangzhou Ballet Dancer 2021/08/08
- College Professor Leaves Shen Yun Performance Feeling Lighter 2021/08/08
- Dancer Feels ‘So Blessed’ to Have Finally Seen Shen Yun 2021/08/08