Former Chair of Cultural Affairs Council: Shen Yun’s Touring the Globe Is Worth Our Respect
CHANGHUA, Taiwan—Since Changhua County is the final leg of Shen Yun Performing Arts 2013 tour in Taiwan, the Changhua County Yuanlin Performance Hall drew many celebrities on the evening of April 1, 2013.
Among them was Ms. Wong Chin-chu, who is the ex-magistrate of Changhua County, former chairwoman of the Council for Cultural Affairs (renamed the Ministry of Culture), and a legislator-at-large. In fact, Ms. Wong has attended Shen Yun performances every year it has toured Taiwan.
After seeing the show this year, she said in delight, “I’ve attend Shen Yun every year, and it always comes up with an all-new program every year. What’s most important is that it is so wonderful it makes me feel very relaxed spiritually.”
“For 5,000 years divine culture flourished in the land of China,” read Shen Yun’s website. “Humanity’s treasure was nearly lost, but through breathtaking music and dance, Shen Yun is bringing back this glorious culture.”
“I’ve seen many dancing performances, but Shen Yun is the best in terms of music, dance, drama, and costumes, as they are very creative and appealing,” Ms. Wong said. “Shen Yun’s touring the globe very year is worth our respect.”
“What Shen Yun demonstrates is traditional Chinese culture,” she added. “There are many ethnic groups in China, and we can see various ethnic groups’ dances in the show. The choreography and direction are very creative. I think it is great to promote Chinese culture around the world in this way.”
The many distinctive ethnic groups within China and around her borders provide a wonderful array of material from which to choreograph and compose, states Shen Yun’s website.
Ms. Wong also expressed what a pity it is that such a magnificent program cannot be performed in mainland China.
For the past 60 years, the communist regime in China has worked to destroy Chinese traditional culture. Through systematic campaigns like the Cultural Revolution, the regime has brought 5,000 years of civilization to the brink of extinction. Most recently, the widespread and brutal persecution of the spiritual practice Falun Gong has been particularly destructive.
“Shen Yun also helps us understand the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners,” she explained. “Though faced with cruel torture, killing, and persecution, they have found a way out due to the power of belief, and then their steadfast faith has brought celestial aid.”
Read the original Chinese article.
Reporting by Chen Zhida and Bill Xu
New York-based Shen Yun Performing Arts has three touring companies that perform simultaneously around the world. For more information, visit ShenYunPerformingArts.org.
- ‘Absolutely Magnificent’: New Brunswick Audience Members Delighted by Shen Yun 2021/11/22
- Shen Yun Is Outstanding, Physician Says 2021/11/22
- ‘Very Impressed’: Retired Bank VP Praises Shen Yun 2021/11/21
- Businessman Inspired to Delve in China’s History After Watching Shen Yun 2021/10/10
- Shen Yun ‘Will Be in History Books Someday,’ Says Best-Selling Author 2021/10/10
- State and City Officials Welcome Shen Yun to Louisville, Kentucky 2021/10/08
- Conductor Deeply Moved by Shen Yun 2021/10/06
- Refreshing to See Shen Yun Artists ‘Dance Without Fear, Share Message of Truth,’ Says Former Guangzhou Ballet Dancer 2021/08/08
- College Professor Leaves Shen Yun Performance Feeling Lighter 2021/08/08
- Dancer Feels ‘So Blessed’ to Have Finally Seen Shen Yun 2021/08/08