Former Councilman Finds Shen Yun ‘Spectacular’
“I’ve heard about this for a long time but this is my first opportunity to come from Otisville to see it,” Mr. Stiles said. “It’s more amazing than I ever thought it could be.”
“The colors, the stories, the action, the skill, the dance, and the music; it’s just all very spectacular,” Mr. Stiles said.
Shen Yun is a classical Chinese dance company based in New York. Its mission is to revive traditional Chinese culture through dance, an advanced interactive backdrop, and a live orchestra that combines Eastern and Western instruments.
Unfortunately, traditional Chinese culture is hard to find in China today. The Chinese Communist Party destroyed a large portion of it during the Cultural Revolution in the 1960s.
Shen Yun also dedicates two dances to raising awareness to human rights abuses in contemporary China. Even though Shen Yun’s four dance companies perform around the world, they are forbidden to go to China.
Mr. Stiles attended the show with his wife, Mrs. Iris Stiles.
“It’s beautiful and elegant,” said Mrs. Stiles. “It shows meaning.”
Both Mr. and Mrs. Stiles said they would absolutely recommend the performance to their friends.
Among the mirthful crowd was also John Salvato, an entertainment buyer who is president and CEO of Talent Spectrum Inc.
Over the years, Mr. Salvato has booked entertainers such as R&B icon Boyz II Men, award-winning country group Lonestar, and American singer and actor Billy Ray Cyrus.
Mr. Salvato said he would very much like to book Shen Yun as well.
“I came to this show so that I could suggest it to my venue,” Mr. Salvato said. “I thought the show was spectacular.”
“The costumes … the whole production was phenomenal,” he said. “I think the people who did the production did a fantastic job.”
Mr. Salvato said he was particularly impressed by the creative use of a fog machine to portray clouds, from which dancers dressed in sparkling phoenix costumes emerge.
Mr. Salvato also thought Shen Yun does a good job conveying the spirituality of ancient Chinese culture, where people practiced Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism.
“It’s very educational for us to see that other cultures believe in a spiritual being, just like we do in the United States,” Mr. Salvato said.
Reporting from Wei Yong
New York-based Shen Yun Performing Arts has four touring companies that perform around the world. For more information, visit ShenYunPerformingArts.org.
- ‘Absolutely Magnificent’: New Brunswick Audience Members Delighted by Shen Yun 2021/11/22
- Shen Yun Is Outstanding, Physician Says 2021/11/22
- ‘Very Impressed’: Retired Bank VP Praises Shen Yun 2021/11/21
- Businessman Inspired to Delve in China’s History After Watching Shen Yun 2021/10/10
- Shen Yun ‘Will Be in History Books Someday,’ Says Best-Selling Author 2021/10/10
- State and City Officials Welcome Shen Yun to Louisville, Kentucky 2021/10/08
- Conductor Deeply Moved by Shen Yun 2021/10/06
- Refreshing to See Shen Yun Artists ‘Dance Without Fear, Share Message of Truth,’ Says Former Guangzhou Ballet Dancer 2021/08/08
- College Professor Leaves Shen Yun Performance Feeling Lighter 2021/08/08
- Dancer Feels ‘So Blessed’ to Have Finally Seen Shen Yun 2021/08/08