Mainland Chinese Absorb All They Can from Shen Yun
“I can never get enough of Shen Yun,” he said. “When I watched the show yesterday, I felt a warm sensation in my spine, like there was energy in the performance. My nose was feeling stuffy earlier, but once I walked into the theater, everything felt better.”
“Through the universal language of music and dance, Shen Yun weaves a wondrous tapestry of heavenly realms, ancient legends, and modern heroic tales, taking you on a journey through 5,000 years of Chinese culture,” reads Shen Yun’s website. “Its stunning beauty and tremendous energy leave audiences uplifted and inspired.
Mr. Chen said it was worth every penny to receive the energy. “It cost me more than five thousand yuan (approximately US$805). But it was all worth it to be able to see Shen Yun.”
China’s deep cultural traditions are contained in classical Chinese dance, allowing its movements to be richly expressive.
The dances were an unforgettable aspect of the show, Mr. Chen said. “The dances are gentle and elegant, and the costumes, backdrops, and music were beautiful,” he added. “It truly uplifts the heart and expresses the beauty of traditional Chinese culture.”
At the same Taoyuan performance, three young women from Southern China found them themselves immersed in Shen Yun’s timeless beauty.
One of the women, Ms. Yuan, discussed the rigors of breaking through the communist regime’s Internet blockade. “We used Internet censoring software to find more out about Shen Yun in Taiwan,” she said. “I invited two of my friends, and they both agreed to come with me.”
“Shen Yun cannot be seen in China today, where traditional culture has been nearly lost,” reads Shen Yun’s website.
Ms. Yuan said she was emotionally overwhelmed while watching the performance’s first dance, Descending to the World. “I’m so excited,” she said while beginning to cry. “Coming to Taiwan was like a dream, and I finally fulfilled my dream of watching Shen Yun. I feel so lucky!”
Ms. Yuan said that she has seen a little of Shen Yun online via New Tang Dynasty Television’s website, and that she has also read articles on Minghui.org. “I know some things about Falun Gong,” she added. Since 1999, Falun Gong, a spiritual discipline based on the principles of Truthfulness, Compassion, and Tolerance, has been at the center of the communist regime’s decimation of traditional Chinese culture.
“I know that Falun Gong is helping people to return to their divine homes,” she said.
“I also know that we descended from the heavens, and that we must go back,” she concluded. “Just like we saw in the performance.”
Reporting by Li Yun, Huang Caiwen, and Virginia Wu
New York-based Shen Yun Performing Arts has three touring companies that perform simultaneously around the world. For more information, visit ShenYunPerformingArts.org
- ‘Absolutely Magnificent’: New Brunswick Audience Members Delighted by Shen Yun 2021/11/22
- Shen Yun Is Outstanding, Physician Says 2021/11/22
- ‘Very Impressed’: Retired Bank VP Praises Shen Yun 2021/11/21
- Businessman Inspired to Delve in China’s History After Watching Shen Yun 2021/10/10
- Shen Yun ‘Will Be in History Books Someday,’ Says Best-Selling Author 2021/10/10
- State and City Officials Welcome Shen Yun to Louisville, Kentucky 2021/10/08
- Conductor Deeply Moved by Shen Yun 2021/10/06
- Refreshing to See Shen Yun Artists ‘Dance Without Fear, Share Message of Truth,’ Says Former Guangzhou Ballet Dancer 2021/08/08
- College Professor Leaves Shen Yun Performance Feeling Lighter 2021/08/08
- Dancer Feels ‘So Blessed’ to Have Finally Seen Shen Yun 2021/08/08