Shen Yun Connects Tradition and the Modern
BASEL, Switzerland—Nicola Danner, a horse stable owner and trainer of Portuguese horses, as well as a former photographer, attended the Shen Yun Performing Arts opening show at the Musical Theater in Basel, Switzerland on Feb. 25, 2020.
The Musical Theater Basel, with its 1,557 seats, is said to be one of the most beautiful and modern of all theaters, and concert halls, in Switzerland. This venue is known to only present top-quality entertainment
For Danner, New York-based Shen Yun’s performance was the highlight of much she had seen in the world of entertainment.
“This is the most memorable evening I have ever experienced,” she said.
Amazement in her eyes, she said, “Shen Yun is not just a show, but it is connected to the 5,000-years-old Chinese history. This is truly impressive.”
“Surprisingly, these performers bring alive a tradition from a faraway place. Not just that, it also seems to remind people in other places of the importance of tradition. Thus, they also try to bring traditions alive again.”
She continued, “In my eyes, this show is awakening people’s fundamental desire to bring people together. It helps them to be in awe and not be afraid and fearful of holding traditional values.”
Keeping in Touch with the Past
Danner sees a combination of the modern and the ancient as an ideal way of keeping the past alive and connecting to the modern.
She said, “Naturally, one transports the tradition to the modern when viewing the beautiful pictures on the backdrop.”
Shen Yun uses a digital backdrop as a vehicle to bring together the scenes of Heaven, Earth, the dynasties, and ethnic regions of ancient and contemporary China. This was instrumental for Danner to awakening her creative thoughts.
“Using tradition to bring to live traditions via dance and song told me of its importance to the future,” Danner added.
The stage design came to life because of the constant changes in colors and costumes, in Danner’s mind.
Danner said, “The combination of colors, and what was shown on the backdrop was fantastic. Then, the inclusion of the music harmonized everything one saw on stage. It made my heart bounce.”
“When concentrating on the performance, one noticed an effortless, happiness, yet an earnestness, as so many themes were addressed.”
She continued, “One felt the energy and an intensiveness emanating from the performers.”
Danner was amazed, stunned at times, and awestruck throughout the performance. She thanked the interviewer for letting her express her innermost impression.
With reporting from NTD Television and Heide B. Malhotra.
- Businessman Inspired to Delve in China’s History After Watching Shen Yun 2021/10/10
- State and City Officials Welcome Shen Yun to Louisville, Kentucky 2021/10/08
- Conductor Deeply Moved by Shen Yun 2021/10/06
- Refreshing to See Shen Yun Artists ‘Dance Without Fear, Share Message of Truth,’ Says Former Guangzhou Ballet Dancer 2021/08/08
- College Professor Leaves Shen Yun Performance Feeling Lighter 2021/08/08
- Dancer Feels ‘So Blessed’ to Have Finally Seen Shen Yun 2021/08/08
- Mayor Says Shen Yun ‘Should Be Enjoyed by Everyone’ 2021/08/07
- South Dakota Senator Appreciates Shen Yun Showing China Before Communism 2021/08/04
- Professional Musician Describes Shen Yun Orchestra as ‘Phenomenal’ 2021/08/02
- Shen Yun Is ‘The Ultimate Goodness,’ Says Visual Artist 2021/08/02