Shen Yun Dancers Are Magical, Says Interior Designer
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C.—Becky Crosby, her children, and a friend were amazed by Shen Yun Performing Arts when they attended its matinee performance at the North Charleston Performing Arts Center.
Shen Yun, a Chinese classical dance and music company, has set itself a mission to revive China’s authentic 5,000-year-old culture thus bringing it back from the brink of extinction.
Crosby, an interior designer, and her children were entranced by the performance of the Plum Blossoms in Spring dance, which depicts courage and resilience.
“The plum blossoms were absolutely beautiful and how in sync they were. And just the continuity. And how [the dancers] … are so simple on their feet, there’s no sound. They’re just magical. The storyline was amazing and it was a great experience for my friend,” Crosby said.
“[The costumes were] absolutely beautiful: the detail, the colors, the combinations from one side of the color wheel to the other and pulling them together. They were so vibrant. It was amazing.”
Shen Yun was very educational for the whole family and it piqued their curiosity, she said.
Each dance depicts an event from China’s ancient dynasties, fables, moral or religious lessons as well as ethnic and folk culture.
“The music was amazing and beautiful,” said Crosby. “[The children had] never seen a live orchestra before, so that was fabulous.”
“It was amazing how [Shen Yun] was able to correlate the screen and the live people together. It was completely in sync,” Crosby said.
Mike Cuicci, who works in real estate, and his family were also in the audience.
Mike’s impression of Shen Yun was—very strong, charismatic, beautiful, and very articulate.
“It was a beautiful performance and I loved the story that it told. And I also loved the visual aspects with the vivid colors and it was truly a treat,” he said.
Ciucci was also impressed with the Plum Blossom in Spring dance.
“The dancing told a story … and I could feel the passion and I could feel the strength of the dancing and how beautiful it was too,” he said.
Mike applauded Shen Yun’s mission of reviving China’s authentic ancient culture.
“I think it’s wonderful to be allowed to be exposed to [China’s] culture because the culture’s been around for so long and here … in the United States we’re [not even] 400 years old … Chinese Culture [has] such a long heritage [and is] so strong and so powerful and so beautiful …,” Ciucci said.
Ciucci said that his exposure to Chinese culture and its heritage as depicted by Shen Yun’s performers was an awesome experience.
Reporting by Yawen Hung and Diane Cordemans.
- Shen Yun Dancers Are Magical, Says Interior Designer 2021/12/19
- Shen Yun a Special Evening for Families of Charleston 2021/12/19
- Shen Yun ‘Reflects the Values of the People,’ Says Professor 2021/11/08
- New and Returning Audience Members Enjoy Shen Yun 2021/11/08
- Educator Sees ‘So Much Culture’ in Shen Yun 2021/11/08
- Shen Yun Is ‘Like Nothing I’ve Ever Seen Before’ 2021/11/06
- Shen Yun’s Message Is Important for Us Today, Says Actress 2021/11/03
- ‘I Just Felt Like I Was Moving Into the Heavens,’ Says Theatergoer at Shen Yun 2021/11/02
- Shen Yun Is ‘Reinvigorating to the Heart,’ Says Musician 2021/09/05
- Shen Yun Portrays Unity and Peace in Traditional Values 2021/09/05