Shen Yun Fosters Self-Improvement
“For 5,000 years divine culture flourished in the land of China. Humanity’s treasure was nearly lost, but through breathtaking music and dance, Shen Yun is bringing back this glorious culture,” states the company’s website.
Al Risberg, site manager at Commonbond, and his wife, attended the opening night of Shen Yun, on Feb. 13.
“In my work world, I deal with people from all over the world and cultures. But I think it is important that we learn from one another.”
Shen Yun provides an ideal educational opportunity for learning about the rich culture of China though Classical, folk, and ethnic dances that retell stories about beloved legends, myths, characters, and about history from ancient times to the present.
Mr. Risberg was amazed at the dancing and the amount of time Chinese civilization has existed and developed such a rich culture. Many of its several thousand-year-old customs and traditions have been almost completely destroyed by the communist regime and its policies.
“I am also reminded of the oppression, where the cultures have been diminished, or when the government doesn’t want it displayed. So, I find it fascinating. It’s interesting,” he said.
Shen Yun’s mission is to revive this lost culture and express it freely and to its fullest extent since it is based outside of China in New York.
In accordance with this mission, Mr. Risberg stated, “I hope that it is well-received and viewed by many … I believe if people have a sense of history, it helps us in our daily living today. The lessons from history and stories can help people in their living today, help them improve our lives.”
Traditional Chinese culture is rich in spirituality. “It seems to be a need from people all over the world to have the ability to express spiritual matters. I feel that’s important.”
Reporting by Sally Sun and Cat Rooney
New York-based Shen Yun Performing Arts has four touring companies that perform around the world. For more information, visit ShenYunPerformingArts.org.
- ‘Absolutely Magnificent’: New Brunswick Audience Members Delighted by Shen Yun 2021/11/22
- Shen Yun Is Outstanding, Physician Says 2021/11/22
- ‘Very Impressed’: Retired Bank VP Praises Shen Yun 2021/11/21
- Businessman Inspired to Delve in China’s History After Watching Shen Yun 2021/10/10
- Shen Yun ‘Will Be in History Books Someday,’ Says Best-Selling Author 2021/10/10
- State and City Officials Welcome Shen Yun to Louisville, Kentucky 2021/10/08
- Conductor Deeply Moved by Shen Yun 2021/10/06
- Refreshing to See Shen Yun Artists ‘Dance Without Fear, Share Message of Truth,’ Says Former Guangzhou Ballet Dancer 2021/08/08
- College Professor Leaves Shen Yun Performance Feeling Lighter 2021/08/08
- Dancer Feels ‘So Blessed’ to Have Finally Seen Shen Yun 2021/08/08