Shen Yun ‘Really Stunning,’ Says Professor
PORTLAND, Ore.—Spring has arrived in the famous “City of Roses,” and all of Portland is in bloom.
This spring also brought New York-based Shen Yun Performing Arts back to Portland’s Keller Auditorium from March 27 to 29, 2015.
After watching Shen Yun, Dr. Adam Margolin, associate professor of biomedical engineering and director of computational biology in the OHSU School of Medicine, along with Deborah Lapidus, outreach director at Climate Advisers’, were left with the sense of beauty and grace that permeates each Shen Yun performance.
“I thought it was great,” Dr. Mangolin said. “It was really stunning—the dance—and it was great to learn about the Chinese culture.”
He was joined in praise by Ms. Lapidus. “The show was mesmerizing,” she said. “It takes you to a different plane, opens up a different mental space. The music, the dance, the bright colors, another place in time, the feeling of the local villages—it gets you distracted from modern life.”
The mission of Shen Yun is to revive authentic Chinese culture. Moreover, Shen Yun’s program prepares audience members “to enter a magical realm of beauty and purity, a place where goodness always prevails and legends come to life.”
And Ms. Lapidus said she entered such a realm.
“It’s miraculous how they combine costumes, and dance, and music, and orchestra, and singing all into one artful narrative performance,” she said. “It’s really great. I saw it last year too. I’m especially impressed that they have a new show each year.”
Ms. Lapidus added that Shen Yun’s beauty “made me wonder how pristine [China] used to be. I’m Jewish, but we do a lot of meditation. I am a very strong believer in compassion and freedom of religious practice, so that part resonated with me.”
Dr. Margolin said he appreciated “how they weaved in the stories about the monks and the Falun Gong.”
Adding that he will recommend a Shen Yun performance as “beautiful dancing in a way that we don’t usually see—a very different kind of dance,” Dr. Mangolin said he “will come back next year if they [Shen Yun] are here again.”
Reporting by Wen Yuan and Nataly Teplitsky
New York-based Shen Yun Performing Arts has four touring companies that perform around the world. For more information, visit ShenYunPerformingArts.org.
- Shen Yun Gives Hope in ‘Outgrowing the Pandemic,’ Says Physician 2022/01/17
- ‘Everything Made the Heart Feel Good,’ Says Little Rock Audience Member 2022/01/16
- ‘Just Watching It Makes You Feel Better,’ Says Huntsville Audience Member 2022/01/12
- Shen Yun Draws Austin Audiences 2022/01/10
- ‘I Feel the Optimism’: Shen Yun Spreads Positivity in Austin 2022/01/10
- Shen Yun Impresses in Austin 2022/01/09
- Interior Designer at Shen Yun: ‘I Would Have Come for the Music Alone’ 2022/01/09
- ‘Absolutely Magnificent’: New Brunswick Audience Members Delighted by Shen Yun 2021/11/22
- Shen Yun Is Outstanding, Physician Says 2021/11/22
- ‘Very Impressed’: Retired Bank VP Praises Shen Yun 2021/11/21