Three Generations Experience Joy at Shen Yun
Vileen Kruse was celebrating a birthday with her daughter, Ellen Vanderloo, and granddaughter, Brooke Knowles, and saw the classical Chinese dance and music company on April 11 at the Overture Center of Arts.
“I am just really enjoying it so much,” said the birthday girl, a retired register nurse who enjoyed everything about it.
“With classical Chinese dance, live orchestra, dazzling costumes and animated backdrops, Shen Yun will transport you to another world,” the New York based company website explains.
“I just think it’s beautiful! The costumes, the athleticism of the performers, the music, I love it all,” said Ms. Vanderloo, a social worker at the Waterloo school.
Mother and grandmother traveled up from Iowa to see the performance.
“It’s wonderful. The costumes are amazing, and it’s fun to see the different takes on their culture,” said granddaughter Ms. Knowles, now a stay-at-home mom, who once worked in finance. “You get a whole new viewpoint on a different side of the world that we don’t see,” she said.
In describing how the performance left her feeling, Ms. Knowles said, “Happy, I mean it’s very intriguing, and very stimulating. It’s just exciting; it’s exciting to watch.”
It made her feel more alive “because it’s so joyful,” she continued.
Ms. Vanderloo was just really glad that she had bought the tickets. “I saw the brochure, and I thought it was beautiful, and I knew my mother would enjoy it, and it’s just a great opportunity to share a great experience together,” she said.
“And we are all laughing because tomorrow we are all going to have reenact this … for her 3-year old,” she added, laughing.
“This is something you don’t see otherwise,” said Ms. Vanderloo in thinking about how to recommend the performance to others. “This is the only place to come and see something like this. We don’t have something like this in our area at all,” she said.
Reporting Cat Rooney and Sharon Kilarski
New York-based Shen Yun Performing Arts has four touring companies that perform simultaneously around the world. For more information, visit Shen Yun Performing Arts.
- ‘Absolutely Magnificent’: New Brunswick Audience Members Delighted by Shen Yun 2021/11/22
- Shen Yun Is Outstanding, Physician Says 2021/11/22
- ‘Very Impressed’: Retired Bank VP Praises Shen Yun 2021/11/21
- Businessman Inspired to Delve in China’s History After Watching Shen Yun 2021/10/10
- Shen Yun ‘Will Be in History Books Someday,’ Says Best-Selling Author 2021/10/10
- State and City Officials Welcome Shen Yun to Louisville, Kentucky 2021/10/08
- Conductor Deeply Moved by Shen Yun 2021/10/06
- Refreshing to See Shen Yun Artists ‘Dance Without Fear, Share Message of Truth,’ Says Former Guangzhou Ballet Dancer 2021/08/08
- College Professor Leaves Shen Yun Performance Feeling Lighter 2021/08/08
- Dancer Feels ‘So Blessed’ to Have Finally Seen Shen Yun 2021/08/08