VP Says Shen Yun Is a Great Experience for the Family
PHILADELPHIA–On March 1, 2020, Eric Brewstein and his family saw Shen Yun Performing Arts for the first time.
“Oh, it was amazing, it’s beautiful,” he said.
His two children, ages 5 and 9 years old, are lovers of the arts and were the ones who wished for their family to see the performing arts show.
“The practice, the discipline, the beauty of it, it’s a great thing to show children and a great thing for my wife and I, just to enjoy the arts on a great Sunday,” Brewstein said at the Merriam Theater.
Eric Brewstein is the Regional Vice President at United Franchise Group.
Based in New York, Shen Yun is the world’s leading classical Chinese dance and music company. It was founded in 2006 and has a mission of reviving 5,000 years of traditional Chinese culture which has been at risk of being lost to the world forever.
From folk and ethnic dances to story dances, Shen Yun’s program is rich with culture and history that serves as both wonderful entertainment as well as inspiring information. Many of Shen Yun’s dances tell of China’s past and of the values that have been passed down from generation to generation.
Brewstein expressed great appreciation for this aspect of Shen Yun.
He said, “The exposure alone is a huge thing, just be able to sit and watch the dedication and practice that the artists have put in is something that we encourage at home, and to see that translate into a performance that lasts two hours when they put years of time in is something we really want to drive, is the educational value of practice and dedication and teamwork.”
And while it is great that Western audiences have been able to experience authentic Chinese culture, Shen Yun cannot be seen in China. The performing arts company has been barred by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) from performing in China. Because it is atheistic in nature, the CCP sees Shen Yun as an existential threat to its rule over China.
In addition to forbidding Shen Yun from coming to China, the CCP has been directly responsible for the drastic decline of traditional Chinese culture. Movements like the Cultural Revolution of the mid-1900s were launched by the communist regime to eradicate traditional Chinese values and belief systems.
Despite this, Shen Yun is still fervently reviving China’s traditional culture through classical Chinese dance and music. And because it is such a core element of traditional Chinese culture, Shen Yun is also bringing spirituality back into the hearts of the American people.
Brewstein said, “I mean, when you take a step back and you enjoy the production value, and you look at the energy and rhythm and vibration that comes through this, if you don’t feel the spirituality, if you don’t feel the commitment, you’re missing something. It’s all available.
With reporting by Frank Liang and Don Tran.
- Shen Yun’s Beauty Is Beyond Words, Ballet Dancer Says 2021/10/15
- ‘The Best Thing I’ve Ever Been to in My Whole Life,’ Composer Says About Shen Yun 2021/10/14
- ‘I Would Bring My Whole School If I Could!’ Says School Owner 2021/10/10
- ‘I Got So Many Goosebumps,’ Says Illustrator After Watching Shen Yun 2021/10/10
- Businessman Inspired to Delve in China’s History After Watching Shen Yun 2021/10/10
- Dentist Moved by the True Stories of China Told in Shen Yun 2021/10/09
- Interior Designer Says Shen Yun Is ‘True Art’ 2021/10/06
- Shen Yun Lifts People’s Spirits, Says Dance Instructor 2021/10/04
- Shen Yun’s Energy Represents ‘Positivity, Love, Happiness,’ Says Theatergoer 2021/10/03
- Couple Says Shen Yun Had Them Sitting on the Edge of Their Seats 2021/10/02