Writer Shares Shen Yun With Children As Annual Event
AUSTIN, Texas—Author Lyndy Edwards and her daughter saw Shen Yun Performing Arts’ 2013 season and loved it so much that they jumped at the chance to see the 2014 performance this time around at The Long Center for the Performing Arts, in Austin Dec. 29.
“I couldn’t wait to come back for this year,” Ms. Edwards said.
Ms. Edwards, who adopted her son and daughter from Taiwan four years ago, was excited to see that several of the performers, as well as the Shen Yun Orchestra conductor, Mr. William Kuo, are also from Taiwan.
“I think it’s very important, very important for them to learn their culture, and their heritage, and their background,” she said.
The New York-based Shen Yun is reviving 5,000 years of Chinese civilization through the performing arts. The divinely inspired culture is deeply spiritual, and that aspect especially resonated with Ms. Edwards.
Ms. Edwards said the idea of a higher power and and the universality of spirit are important to her personally.
The divinely inspired aspects of Chinese culture are present throughout each Shen Yun performance, from the brilliant costumes, the heavenly scenes in the digital backdrop, and the various stories told through dance.
The stories range from ancient legends to modern day scenes, and Ms. Edwards and her children recognized some of the fairy tales. This year, there is a story from the well-known Chinese epic called Journey to the West.
“We tell fairy tales, and they told Chinese fairy tales, which I think is awesome,” Ms. Edwards said.
“I just think it’s a fabulous show. They just glide across the stage,” Ms. Edwards said. “It’s the most magnificent thing—and the costume, and the colors—and we just love all of it.”
Reporting by Stacy Chen and Catherine Yang
New York-based Shen Yun Performing Arts has four touring companies that perform simultaneously around the world. For more information, visit Shen Yun Performing Arts.
- ‘Absolutely Magnificent’: New Brunswick Audience Members Delighted by Shen Yun 2021/11/22
- Shen Yun Is Outstanding, Physician Says 2021/11/22
- ‘Very Impressed’: Retired Bank VP Praises Shen Yun 2021/11/21
- Businessman Inspired to Delve in China’s History After Watching Shen Yun 2021/10/10
- Shen Yun ‘Will Be in History Books Someday,’ Says Best-Selling Author 2021/10/10
- State and City Officials Welcome Shen Yun to Louisville, Kentucky 2021/10/08
- Conductor Deeply Moved by Shen Yun 2021/10/06
- Refreshing to See Shen Yun Artists ‘Dance Without Fear, Share Message of Truth,’ Says Former Guangzhou Ballet Dancer 2021/08/08
- College Professor Leaves Shen Yun Performance Feeling Lighter 2021/08/08
- Dancer Feels ‘So Blessed’ to Have Finally Seen Shen Yun 2021/08/08